Business cards are ubiquitous, yet not a lot of people realize that designing them is both an art and a science. While it may take years to be able to create stunning business cards like you’d see on graphic design magazines, business card design basics aren’t that difficult to understand. Given time, anyone can design a simple business card that really works for their needs.
The design basics outlined in the infographic below are widely accepted principles, but they aren’t rules so much as guidelines. Following them makes it simpler to create business cards. However, it also gives you a baseline to be able to break design conventions effectively, rather than in a random way as you’d see on “worst design” rundowns. Check out the infographic and tell us your thoughts in the comments below:
Understanding the basics of business card design will not only help you create more effective business cards, it could prevent miscommunication. While they are only one piece of your marketing mix, at the end of the day business cards still represent you and your brand. A bad design can misrepresent you, causing you to give the wrong impression — something that you’d certainly want to avoid.
Business cards that are designed well, on solid fundamentals, will also save you money from the cost of redesign. They are also likely to give you a better return on investment than a badly designed card. There should also be less waste since more prospects are likely to take you seriously and will be less inclined to throw away your business cards.
Some things to know about business card design basics
- It’s useful for more designers to understand the “rules” before they try breaking them.
- Design is creative, but it’s not just art either. Create your business cards with specific objectives in mind.
- These design basics are handy for producing reliable business card designs, but for intricate work, you’d want to dig a bit deeper.
Here are a few additional posts that you might find helpful:
- 38 Designers Share Their Favorite Business Card Design Tips
- The Psychology of Business Cards : Four Small Details that Matter
- The Most Comprehensive Business Card Designs Guide
How did you find this post? Comment below.
Arthur Piccio is a feature writer and subject matter expert for theUPrinting Blog.